20 Reasons Being a Farm Girl Rocks

Being a farmer is a tough job. It takes long hours, dedication and patience. It takes time and flexibility. It's not for those without a strong work ethic. It can be even tougher for a woman who might feel like she is in a man's world. So why would a woman want to be a farmer? We asked why being a woman in agriculture rocks and here are 20 reasons!

"I get to work with my family every day!" - Claudia

"I like the satisfaction that I'm able to teach my daughters how to be strong, independent girls in agriculture everyday" - Kaylie

"Knowing that I will be an influence on the future. Feeding the future, protecting the way of life we love, and maybe even encourage some other women to farm too." - Abigail

"Being able to put these 'tough' city boys in their place!" - Kristi

"The family time. Working and enjoy the fruits of our labor." - Jess

"Being outdoors, watching what you plant grow and being able to harvest it and canning so you reap the rewards all year long." - Mari

"Love getting to teach my kids this way of life. Teaching them how to work with not just their minds, but their backs as well. And they love it!" - LeAnn

"The freedom it affords me. Working with my children and husband & now new son-in-law! Not being tied to a desk (unless I want to be) The view daily is amazing!" - Maryann

"I get to work outside in the fresh air and be my own boss. I get to work side by side with my husband. I get to watch all the newborn calves grow and become healthy adults. Sure, there are bad times, like when you're up all night trying to save a newborn or having to pull one, but i wouldnt trade this life for anything."- Jen

"All the surprises, no day is ever the same!!!!" - Flecia

"You know, I kinda like these big muscles without stepping foot in a gym." - Angela

holly

"Getting to drive the tractor and block out the worries for a little while..." - Jean

"I get to buy really great boots all the time!" - Melanea

"I like being able to celebrate the miracle of life almost daily. " -  Becky

"Growing, raising, and preparing food from our land for our little family!" - Rachel

"Not having to get all fixed up to work a public job (ponytails and no makeup for me)." - Jennifer

"We get so much satisfaction from return customers that like our product and pricing and appreciate how we care about what we do and they notice that effort, pride and work ethic in our teenage boys." - Tammy

"The reaction I get from people when I say I operate a combine." - Megan

"Seeing the next generation love it as much as the one before them!" - Christie

"The satisfaction of feeding people, the security of not having to depend on others to feed my family, and the smile on my face when I see people's reactions when I tell them I'm a farmer." - Teri

farmb

Comments

Robin - Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 11:25:14 AM
Getting to be with my daddy and learning new stuff everyday. Living the dream!!!
Jody - Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 12:11:42 PM
I love spending my day with my animals. Today I am delivering pigs with a first time sow.
Gina Cox - Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 2:08:38 PM
This information is totally true. I married a farmer. He told me right before proposing to me "I raise hogs for a living: it's 365 days a year, 7 days a week, no weekends, no holidays & no vacations. Will you marry me?" Life on the farm does have its ups & downs, but the up side is: we are a FAMILY of farmers ( husband, wife, & two daughters). Farming has taught us teamwork, hard work, love, & responsibility. Do regret answering "yes" to his question? I thank God each & everyday for the opportunity to become a family of FARMERS!
Melissa - Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 7:16:27 PM
Knowing that it will help me in the future and learning how to deal with death at an early age.💙🐴🐄🐷🐂
Rana Sherrick - Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 9:05:10 AM
i love the freedom it gives me to be immersed in nature daily! I'm 56 yrs young, started farming 3yrs ago! Love the workout, muscles, aches, and pains! Only regret, I didn't start 20 yrs ago! But I'm catching up!
Janice - Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 9:57:20 AM
Rana I thought of you when I saw this! I'm in the same 'late-starter' boat! But loving my greenhouse and seeing FOOD grow! Praying for a tractor! God is good.
Roberta Klingler - Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 8:29:23 AM
I farmed with my husband until he passed a way 5yrs ago at the age of 47. My 14yr. old son and I sold our row crop farm in Illinois and bought a ranch in the state of Missouri. A fresh start for both of us in God's country. Love watching our herd of purebred angus and my son grow. Securing my son's future in the cattle industry.
Deanne - Sunday, August 2, 2015 at 10:15:03 PM
Nothing like walking through the barns and all the pigs running up to you to get a nose pat. It is awesome.
Vall - Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 8:59:40 AM
being outside, working with family, nature, animals and the memories. A connection with the land. Knowing how to fix things, to use common sense, make do, and to adapt and ADJUST :))

You may also like:

Shine a Spotlight on Women in Agriculture

Know a female farmer, rancher or agriculture professional who'd should be featured in a future issue?

Being a First Time Farm Girl

On a farm, the best way to learn it is by doing it. Payton tells us her tips on learning as a first time farm girl!

7 Farm Lessons I Learned the Hard Way

Caitlin shares seven farm lessons she learned the hard way! Can you relate?

Amazing Woman in Ag: Dr. Lauren Ledbetter Griffeth

Introducing a new face - Dr. Lauren. She will be joining us to provide leadership information and tips for women in agriculture based on her experience as an extension leadership specialist.

Amazing Woman in Ag: Mason

There's a new face here at Pink Tractor. Meet Mason, who is joining us for the Summer!

Celebrating Women in Ag

Today we are celebrating women in ag with some of our favorites.

Farm Girl Favorites

We share a lot of tips, stories and information with our readers. These are the farm girl favorites - the top 7 articles from the last year.

The Best Farm Girl Tips

This year, we shared a lot of farm girl tips, from the funny and silly ones to the serious and helpful ones. Here are a few of our favorite farm girl tips.

Jolene's Best Tips for Women in Ag

Start off on the right foot with some quick reminders that will give you confidence and strength in the coming months to help you be your best this year!

Amazing Woman in Ag: Elizabeth

Meet Elizabeth, a dairy farmer from North Carolina.